Devon Island Expedition

Devon Island Expedition
This blog features educational updates on my Devon Island Expedition of July 14-20, 2007. Other sites: spaceref.com/blogs/earthclassroom, www.marsonearth.org

Monday, February 11, 2008

Why I Love Teaching


I just finished giving my first lecture of the semester here at LSU! I love the interaction with the students and having to prepare lectures (which makes one really learn or re-learn the topic).

I suppose that I always wanted to be a Professor. It was my second career choice after being an astronaut. I remember in graduate school how rewarding it was to give presentations that students understood and appreciated. I guess I also remembered the awful professors and teaching assistants that I sometimes endured. This experience made me dedicated to presenting quality products to my students.

It's important to keep perspective on what's important and to remember what bothered you.

Leroy Chiao

3 comments:

Paolo Amoroso said...

Do you have any suggestions on how to teach in a way that is understandable and appreciated, or how not to be an awful teacher?

Leroy Chiao said...

I think the most important thing is that you must care about teaching and about doing a good job. Obviously, you need to prepare for class and know the material. Finally, I think it is important to know your audience. You get a feel for the class and then try to get your message across in a way to which they might relate.

Leroy Chiao

bill said...

what classes do you teach at LSU?