Devon Island Expedition

Devon Island Expedition
This blog features educational updates on my Devon Island Expedition of July 14-20, 2007. Other sites: spaceref.com/blogs/earthclassroom, www.marsonearth.org

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wristwatches

Pilots, astronauts and their wristwatches, right? There is something about a nice wristwatch. From the beauty of its design to the beauty of it's engineering to the combination of elegance and functionality, a wristwatch to many of us is more than a practical tool.

I recently did a detailed interview and podcast with Jake Ehrlich, who is a Rolex afficianado. You can check out his blog and my interview/podcast at:

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/story-of-nasa-astronaut-leroy-chaio-his.html

I've worn a few different watches in space, including Rolex, Omega and Breitling. But, it is a Rolex GMT Master that I own. That watch flew with me on every space mission. I acutally bought the watch in Davos, Switzerland, before I was selected as a NASA astronaut.

After leaving NASA at the end of 2005, a friend of mine at Rolex had it inscribed for me with my name and space mission designations.

Do you have a favorite timepiece?

Leroy Chiao

4 comments:

motorbikematt said...

A friend of mine owns a Breitling that everybody was really impressed with, but I found most of them to be a little "too functional", if that makes any sense. My favorite watch is a titanium Citizen with a black band and dial. Tells the time, never needs winding, and it goes with just about every outfit.

Not in the same order of magnitude as Rolex..but I like it!

Mr. Winters said...

I have several nice watches but my everyday “combat” watch is a Casio G-Shock G-300 that is charged by the sun and synchronizes with an atomic clock every night. In the dark it lights up with a simple turn of the wrist. No buttons need to be pushed. I think I only paid about $90 for it several years ago. From kayaking to mountain biking to lab work it has proven flawless. If I were headed for the space station it would be on my wrist. Form follows function in this case.

ghkj said...

This momentousdecree warcraft leveling came as a great beacon light wow lvl of hope to millions of negroslaves wow power level who had been seared power leveling in the flames of power leveling withering wrath of the lich king power leveling injustice.wrath of the lich king power leveling it came as a WOTLK Power Leveling joyous daybreak to end the long WOTLK Power Leveling night ofcaptivity.WOTLK Power Leveling but one hundred years wlk power leveling later, we must face aoc gold the tragic fact thatthe age of conan power leveling negro is still not free. aoc power leveling one hundred years later,age of conan power leveling the lifeof the negro ffxi gil is still sadly crippled by the final fantasy xi gil manacles ofsegregation guild wars gold and the chains of discrimination. one hundred yearslater, maplestory mesos the negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in themidst of a vast ocean of material prosperity.dog clothes one hundred yearslater

lijialefw said...

Buy Warcraft(wow power leveling)please point machine (wow power leveling)to enter the website(wow power leveling)of Warcraft